Derek is the founder of Grad Coach, Chief Coffee Maker and general problem fixer. In addition to keeping the ship afloat day to day, he is involved in coaching students on the coursework aspects (assignments and exam prep) for specific management programs. Derek has worked with hundreds of MBA students, helping them achieve their academic goals.
- Methodology: Quantitative
- Methods: Surveys, descriptive and inferential statistics
- Typical research areas: Business management, marketing, reputation, consumer decision making
- Supported software: SPSS, Excel
- Billing level: Gold (view pricing)
Background & experience
Derek is not your typical academic coach. In fact, his path to Masters was far from typical. Sans access to the capital needed to head to university straight after school, Derek dove directly into the world of work by starting an event production company. Over the years, he enrolled in multiple business-related courses as and when he felt he needed to gain specific skills or knowledge.
After many years of ‘winging it’, having built, sold and been involved in numerous businesses, Derek decided to complement what he had learnt ‘in the field’ with the coveted MBA. Seeking an international perspective, he enrolled in the Henley MBA (University of Reading), determined not just to pass, but to excel. He completed the program ahead of schedule, earning full distinction, along with multiple prizes for ‘outstanding academic achievement’.
While undertaking the MBA, Derek had the opportunity to help numerous students – some failing, some borderline, some doing well. This experience revealed an underlying passion for teaching and so Grad Coach was born.
Professionally, Derek has built and managed numerous businesses, from entertainment to marketing and, most recently, financial services. He has also presented as a guest lecturer at the Vega School of Branding and the University of Johannesburg.
Henley Business School, University of Reading, UK
Master of Business Administration (MBA) – Distinction, Henley UK Prizewinner, Henley SA Prizewinner.
Digital Marketing Institute (Ireland)
Diploma in Digital Marketing – Distinction.
- Financial Services Board / Moonstone – Regulatory Examinations: Representatives (RE5) – 82%
- Financial Services Board / Moonstone – Regulatory Examinations: Key Individuals (RE1) – 84%
- University of Stellenbosch / Quirk – Digital Marketing Course – 88%
- Vega School of Brand Leadership – Digital Strategy in Building Brands – 80%
- Duke University – Probability & Data – 92%
- University of Stellenbosch – MBA Foundation Program – 100%
- Udemy – Inferential Statistics in SPSS, Data Analysis in SPSS & Data Analysis: Survey Data and Likert Scales
- Google – Adwords Certification Program
- Henley Business School – Finance for Non-Financial Managers
Book a free consultation
Interested in working with Derek? Book a free, no-obligation consultation online today and receive immediate confirmation.